Michigan Wrongful Death Lawyers
The wrongful death lawyers at Hopkins & Forhan represent families throughout the Detroit metro area and surrounding communities in southeast Michigan who have suffered the loss of a loved one due to the wrongful act, neglect or fault of another.
We offer a free consultation to evaluate your case. Our wrongful death attorneys will take the time to discuss with you the circumstances of your loved one’s death. We can then gather facts about the cause of death, open an estate for the deceased family member, and prepare an effective wrongful death lawsuit on your behalf.
What is Involved in Filing a Wrongful Death Claim?
A wrongful death claim may arise out of a number of circumstances, such as medical malpractice, a car accident or as a result of a dangerous work environment. In order to bring a successful wrongful death lawsuit, the following elements must be present:
- The death of a person;
- Caused by another’s wrongful act, negligence or fault;
- The survival of family members who are suffering the loss of love or companionship as a result of the death, and;
- The appointment of a personal representative for the decedent’s estate.
Under Michigan’s wrongful death law, a suit for wrongful death may only be brought by the personal representative of the deceased person’s estate. The damages can then be awarded to family members of the deceased person.
What Compensation is Available to Family Members?
The Michigan wrongful death statute provides that fair and equitable damages may be awarded. Such damages include:
- Compensation for medical, hospital, funeral and burial expenses
- Pain and suffering that the deceased person endured, and
- Loss of financial support and companionship to the family.